June 27, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty at the MET

I was in New York City last week with my sister to see the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibit at the MET. Though you could barely move through the galleries as the museum was packed with so many people, the exhibit is a must see.

The clothing was beautifully displayed along with video installations from some of his best and most experimental seasons, including the chess inspired collection "It's Only A Game," the box within a box "Voss" collection, and his last realized collection "Plato's Atlantis." After years of just imagining what his garments looked like, I could finally examine the embroideries, textures and workmanship up close. It is absolutely pure genius. One dress was made from medical slides dyed red.

The highlight of the exhibition is definitely the ethereal hologram of Kate Moss from the "Widows of Culloden" collection, played to the melody of Schindler's List.

source: AP photo of Atlantis collection, shot of miniature Armadillo shoe



“You’ve got to know the rules to break them. That’s what I’m here for, to demolish the rules but to keep the tradition.”

—Alexander McQueen

7 comments:

  1. I've just been there too, that's absolutely a must see. Even my boyfriend enjoyed it: )
    that was inspiring, there were no barriers in his work; that's entertainment as well..

    Have a nice week!

    Virginie

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was such a mega talent x wow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous.
    I am desperate to see that!!

    Thank you SO much for sharing even if just a glimpse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, i'm so jealous... i've seen so many photos from the exhibit and each one is more stunning than the last!! you're lucky to have seen it, and i thank you for providing me with more inspiration to get there <3shelby

    www.makemesparkly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhh so jealous! I want to see the McQueen show so bad! I'm gonna watch the video in a few minutes upstairs - thanks for sharing! Looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh I wish I could go see this. so stunning! such a great quote too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome exhibit! So jealous of the fact that you were in New York.

    // THE STYLE MANUAL

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...